Akron, Ohio-based Sterling Jewelers Inc. is the U.S. operations of Signet Jewelers Ltd, making it part of the largest specialty retail jewelry company in the world. While Signet has leading operations in both the U.S. and U.K., the U.S. market accounts for approximately 50% of worldwide jewelry sales and the U.K. for around 7% of sales.
Sterling is the largest U.S. specialty retail jeweler as ranked by sales with more than 1,500 stores in 50 states. Sterling has an approximate 4.2% share of the $63 billion total jewelry market, and an 8.8% share of the more than $30 billion U.S. specialty market. Its mall stores are known nationwide as Kay Jewelers
("Kay"), and regionally under a number of well-established and recognized names, such as JB Robinson Jewelers
. Sterling's destination superstores are known as Jared The Galleria of Jewelry
In the U.K., Signet is the largest specialty retailer of fine jewelry with more than 500 stores and an approximate 17% share of the more than $6 billion total jewelry market. Primarily situated in main shopping thoroughfares with high pedestrian traffic or shopping malls, the stores are known as "H.Samuel", "Ernest Jones" and "Leslie Davis".
Our objectives are to continue to achieve sector-leading performance standards on both sides of the Atlantic, to increase store productivity, to grow new store space in the U.S., and to maintain a strong balance sheet while funding the needs of the business and dividend payments.
Maintaining Our Competitive Edge
Our strengths lie in our superior staff, processes, and systems. These have been built up over time and developed within our disciplined but enthusiastic culture. The strongest characteristics of that culture are a continuous drive to improve everything we do, a belief in excellence in execution, and the thorough testing of initiatives before implementation.
Uncompromising Customer Service
Merchandising for Superior Value
- Largest direct diamond sourcing capability in both U.S. and U.K.
- Each diamond is hand-selected to ensure consistent quality
- The Leo Diamond® has become a prime example of successful branding in jewelry
Increasing Brand Awareness
- Advertising and marketing spend is the largest among specialty retail jewelers in the U.S. and U.K.
- Highly successful national television advertising in the U.S.
- H.Samuel is the only U.K. jeweler with national television advertising
High Quality Real Estate
- Strict operational and financial real estate investment criteria
- Largest increase in U.S. space within jewelry sector over the last five years
- 44% of U.K. sales from a more customer-friendly store format